The best expression of love is Jesus Christ!
16 “For God so [greatly] loved and dearly prized the world, that He [even] gave His [One and] [a]only begotten Son, so that whoever believes and trusts in Him [as Savior] shall not perish, but have eternal life.”John 3:16
The Bible is one giant love story and I encourage you to read it, if you have not done so, and again if you have already. Let God show you what is love, and what it means to love.
WHAT DOES LOVE MEAN TO YOU?
I like how R.C. Sproul, pastor and theologian puts it;
In the New Testament, love is more of a verb than a noun. It has more to do with acting than with feeling. The call to love is not so much a call to a certain state of feeling as it is to a quality of action.R.C. Sproul
Yes, it is an action. It is active and not passive.
A life without love becomes meaningless.
2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.1 Corinthians 13:2
It is what God wants us to do.
12 “This is My commandment, that you [c]love and unselfishly seek the best for one another, just as I have loved you.John 15:12
- Love is patient. You’re slow to anger and bear with others’s imperfections, faults and differences.
- Love is kind. The Greek word means “useful”, that you would be helpful to people.
- Love is not jealous. You eagerly desire for the well-being of others.
- Love is not arrogant and it doesn’t brag. You don’t build yourself, but others. It is an humble act and doesn’t boast.
- Love is not rude. It is being courteous and polite, being sensitive to the feeling of others.
- Love is selfless. From all that I could recall of the great lovers, they have loved selflessly. It is not about my rights but being able to put it down for others.
- Love is not provoked. Heard of the phrase, “gosh, i feel like walking on eggshells around that person”?
- Love is not keeping a tally of wrongs. You forgive and forget not keeping track of the wrongs someone did.
- Love is rejoicing in justice. When something bad happens you confront, at the same time, when the right thing is done, you rejoice in the situation.
- Love is bearing. You protect others and don’t put them down in front of others especially.
- Love is trusting. Not being suspicious but same time not gullible.
- Love is hopeful. Not pessimistic but realistic.
- Love is enduring. Sticking it our during a difficult situation.
As you can see love is selfless and directed to build another person. Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God is our perfect example.
You can find more biblical love quotes over here for your family, friends, church and colleagues, encourage them today!